Saturday, May 18

Day 8 of England Adventure: Jacky and I headed for Leeds – for the Markets and Arcades. Jacky hates driving in Leeds, so we took the bus, which was fine with me, I’d never gone in a double-decker bus! It was great fun, but I’m sure glad I took my motion-sickness pills! We sat in the very front on the top level and were jostled about quite a bit, but was good to get such a great view of things. The Markets were fun, but I didn’t find anything that really caught my eye… then we made it to the different Arcades. They were beautifully done, and had some neat shops. We managed to find most of the gifts that I needed, then headed back to Selby. Once in Selby we went through the Selby Abbey. The Selby Abbey was very quaint and pretty. Not as grand as the York Minster, but every bit as beautiful. There was a Washington (George Washington) Window that had his family’s coat of Arms, which was cool to see. They even had the American Flag hanging under it. On one of the walls, they had some pillars with leaf type carvings on top, there were three that had animals carved in as well. The stone masons must have gotten bored with the leaves and decided to put some animals in for fun. After we saw the Abbey, we made one last trip to a store to find the last gifts that I needed. I think both Jacky and I were both glad to have all my shopping out of the way! We made it home, and I took an hour to start sorting things out in my luggage for my trip home. I got everything to fit! I was amazed… ;-) truly amazed. That night, Bob, Jacky, Philip (their youngest son) went out to dinner to an Italian restaurant in Selby. It was really good food and great company. Bob & Jacky and Pete & Emma are all such wonderful people to have opened their home to me and to spend time with me. I can’t thank them enough…I had the time of my life in their company!!