Saturday, May 18

Day 7 of England Adventure: Jacky and I got up early and headed for York. We parked the car and headed for the York Minster. This church was incredible – really, there isn’t a word to describe it. It was almost all I could do not to stand there in awe. Some of the most beautiful architecture and stained glass windows I’d seen in England. The ceilings were so high and so ornate, really strained my neck just to look up. We saw some of the more famous windows: the War of the Roses window (circa 1500), the Five Sisters window (circa 1260), the Great West window (painted in 1338) and the Great East window (1405-5). The Great East window contains the world’s largest area of medieval stained glass in a single window. It depicts the beginning and the end of the world, using scenes from Genesis and the Book of Revelation. Under the Minster are Roman and Norman ruins. It was almost incomprehensible to think that there could have been something under the Minster, but there was. I wish I could have taken pics of the ruins, but we weren’t allowed. There was a huge Roman pillar that really got us thinking that someone stood there, someone sat there, and someone probably died there. It just made me think of the battles that had to take place. After the Minster, we made our way to get a scone and coming out of the bakery, I wasn’t watching my step and fell! I was so embarrassed… not hurt except for some impending bruises. Got a good chuckle out of it. ;-) We did a bit of shopping (at LUSH and other fun stores while we moved on to the Jorvik Viking City Museum. This was a great museum – really put together well, with modern devices. The tour started in a small room, that took us back in time through video. It had two people, dressed in modern clothes with a modern scene in the background. With each step back in time, their clothes changed and the background changed as well. It took us back to the year 975. Then we were loaded into bucket type carriers and we were off to see what life was like back then in the Viking city. It was so real – even installed the smells! Then we headed to the York Castle Museum. It started out with rooms from different eras, then we moved onto the town of York set back in the early 1900’s, I would guess. Streets of cobblestone and brick with store fronts that displayed their wares. It was just like being back in time. They have such a vast amount of things to see, through all walks of life and times. We stopped by the post office and saw something moving in there when we realized there was a lady in there with white gloves and a brush – dusting!! We walked through the mill and debtor’s prison, then through yet another portion of the museum. I was on the hunt for the Fudge Shoppe that Emma told me about that was supposed to be in York – they had a website, but I couldn’t remember the address. I wanted some peanut butter fudge, but alas, we looked at every fudge shop and couldn’t find the right one, so I went home fudge-less. Sigh. We gave it out best shot though. We made it to the car, then rode home in almost silence because were both dead tired! Great day though! :-D I highly recommend York!